A few years ago I came across this website called Environment Working Group. It’s a fantastic resource that provides information and research on consumer products in an effort to help us live healthier lives. We all want to make better decisions when it comes to the products we purchase; this website does just that.
How do I use it?
I am glad you asked.
One of my favorite things to do with this website is search products that I use regularly for cleaning, food, makeup, sunscreen and more. They rank each product by its level of toxins and it gives you the information on why it was given that specific rating.
Here are my top 5 resources that are a regular go-to for me:
- Cleaning Products: Wonder what’s in your cleaning products and how that can be adding more toxins to your environment in which you live and breathe? This guide is crucial: http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
- Skin Care: Ladies! This is a must. Our skin is our largest organ so we need to make sure what we are putting on our skin is not negatively impacting our health. We want to look good, but at what cost? Let’s make this a go-to so we can make better decisions that way we look good and feel good for many years to come! http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
- Sunscreen: I don’t know where you live, but in Texas sunscreen is not optional especially when it starts to reach the 100’s. Check this guide out to keep you and your family sunburn free while limiting the toxins being slathered on. http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/
- Grocery Produce: Want to avoid produce that has bugs and weed killer all over it? Check this out: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
- Budget Friendly Organic: Most people want to eat healthy, but one of the largest complaints is the expense. I agree that eating healthy especially organic can add up quick! EWG developed a fantastic resource for those who want to eat healthy foods on a budget. I love this one! http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/
For a full list of all of their guides, check this out: http://www.ewg.org/consumer-guides
I would really encourage you to take some time in evaluating the products you use daily. This resource takes the guesswork out of the equation and allows you to make better choices for you and your family.
Sign up for their newsletters if you feel so led! I did because I want to stay informed so I can make wise decisions with money and for my health.
There are so many other resources I could mention, but I wanted to dedicate this one to EWG. What other resources do you use to stay informed?