I love to create my own rice or quinoa bowls. This recipe is one of my favorites. Feel free to play with it and substitute your favorite protein and veggies. Enjoy!
Black Bean Tex-Mex Quinoa Bowl Recipe
Serving: 1/2 Cup; Yields 4-6 servings
2 cups quinoa, cooked
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup water
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 shallot, sliced
½ red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
½ orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1-2 limes, juiced to taste
Pink Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Add beans to small pot with 1/2 cup water on low heat; Add cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes, or until transparent and fragrant
- Sauté bell peppers, for 4-6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. The additional tablespoon of coconut oil can also be added at this time if ingredients are sticking to the skillet.
- Once the bell peppers are tender, remove skillet from the heat and add lime juice to taste.
- Place quinoa in individual bowls and top with black beans, followed by the onion and bell pepper mixture.
- Add your favorite protein (if you need more than the black beans) for an extra boost and serve with my Fabulously Fresh Salsa and Tasty Tex-Mex Guacamole.
Substitution: If you are avoiding nightshades, substitute the bell peppers for fresh squash or zucchini.